Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chris' Food 'n stuff - September 8th

OK … so today was another stupid food day. I am in a really big funk today, so eating was just something I had to do, not something I cared to think about. I didn’t cheat, but I didn’t eat full meals either. As I’m sitting here, hungry of course, I’m remembering this is what happened last time I went 100% strict. I got hungry and I got mad … mad because I was hungry and mad because I didn’t feel as “great” as I thought I should have been feeling. Oh, and BTW, today’s WOD was horrible. Honest to God, it would have been better for my body to stay in bed and get a little more sleep. Everyday I feel like I’m going slower and slower … one of these days, I’m going to be on the floor doing a burpee and I won’t get up because I will have fallen asleep because of my lack of speed!!! OK, one more complaining note and I'll confess my food – it is HARD being the mom and feeding your kids and managing their little lives and actually having a second to think about what I actually get to eat … argh…. Which is why my day was mostly “junk” paleo. When I say junk, I mean just “grab and survive”.
Pre-WOD/Breakfast – Coffee, bacon, 3 mini-muffins
Snack – Larabar, coffee, turkey jerky (was at Target)
Lunch – Spark, LaraBar, a packet of almond butter (yup, wouldn’t you have liked to see me driving down the road squeezing almond butter out of a little packet and swearing because I can’t get it all out!- classy.), the rest of the bag of Turkey Jerky … yup, ate an entire bag in an hour (waiting in the parking lot to pick Miles up from school – better floss tonight)
Snack – some apple slices (what I could grab out of kids bowls, because it would have been too easy had the kids actually listened to me and come inside for 5 minutes so I could eat something!!)
Snack – carrots and hummus
Snack – a hot dog – oh yea, another classy and gourmet moment.
Snack – half of a LaraBar
Pre-dinner – Cashews and Protein shake
Dinner – leftover night – roast and pineapple (way later than normal dinner – but had to get kids in bed first tonight) – oh sure, if I had energy, I’d make a salad because obviously I need to increase my vegetable intake, but all I want to do is curl up on my bed and go to bed.
When you are trying to eat paleo and are on the go all day, what are some good suggestions to have on hand to eat, besides for “bars”?

3 comments:

  1. One snack I always have in my purse is roasted nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans) mixed with raisins. I carry a ziploc bag of them. When I know I am going to be out and about (or traveling) I will carry baked chicken breasts with me. Yea it's a little odd when TSA pulls it out of your purse at the airport, but............

    I can't imagine doing this while still keeping up with little ones. Hell, I have a hard enough time because I have to make separate food for my husband - as he does not eat most of the vegetables that are Paleo acceptable. Hang in there, you are doing a great job. Just the fact that you and Pete get up and do the WOD every day AMAZES me! I could just see myself rolling over and thinking "nah, not today" EVERY DAY!! Find some snacks that you really enjoy and that will get you through the day. You should not be hungry on Paleo. Also, maybe you could find one night a week to plan out some meals in advance. I know this really helps me, although I only do it because I am ALWAYS thinking about food! Already starting to think about Thanksgiving dinner - I'm pathetic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough. Your insulin levels are getting back to normal and while this is happening you're going to suffer a bit. It's been a week ( I just asked AJ) you got to give it a few more days until your ecosystem gets back on an even keel. Once this happens you wil feel great. I promise. You need to eat more, I know yo know this and I wish I had a nickel for every time I said that. But, you do. Get some more fat for energy, it doesn't have to be almond butter. Fnd what you like and be creative. Pete, you should cook tonight so Chris doesn't kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ... Michele, I can only imagine what TSA must think when they search your purse!! LOL!! Dan ... I know (man you'd be rich if you had a nickel each time!!) I remember this from last challenge ... I need to push through this rocky part and eat more. I'm sure I'll feel better soon, just have to stay focused. It's exhausting always thinking about food!! Most importantly - I agree, Pete should cook, and not just cook, but do the thinking for both us and the kids (which are separate meals btw). :) Actually, he certainly knows his way around the kitchen, just gets home too late.

    ReplyDelete